why we prefer the mediocre product ?
1. It is generally inexpensive.
2. A lot of people buy it as in trashy novel versus deep literature.
3. Given that others love it, we do not have to give it too much thought. If you go to the ballpark, you end up eating hot dogs because that is what people do.
4. For all these reasons, the product is easily recognized, marketed, and sold. For it is familiar, socially validated, and creates a warm glow of familiarity and social acceptance.
5. It is bland enough to be acceptable to the majority whereas few people can really stomach microbrews—or classical music. These require too much mental effort and are ultimately displeasing to the majority. Mediocrity may be dumbed down but it is democratic.
6. So it is also perfect for promotion via mass media.